Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal veterinary medicine

my pitbull dog who is 5yrs old is crying.he penis is irrated

Customer Question

my pitbull dog who is 5yrs old is crying.he penis is irrated and swollen.what could this come from or be? please help
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. Is his penis stuck outside the sheath?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no he was outside today in the yard. i came home and he was crying i notice the irration

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are u still there dr.bruce
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.
Sorry about the delay on my part. What is this irritation looking like? Can you describe it in more detail? Or take a picture of it and post it for me to see?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He won't allow me too. Its reddish on the outside. Its looks as if someone was under. The sun for a long time. Is anything I came give him to relax the pain down
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.
If the actual penis isn't out, that is good! If it was out, that would be an emergency situation that you need to get to the vet to get it back in before damage is done to it. If the skin itself is just very irritated, then it has a good chance of being a dermatitis. An infection of the skin that is very irritating. There really isn't anything that I would recommend you doing at home because of the discomfort that he's showing. I don't want you to make him more agitated. I would place an E-collar on him to prevent him from further irritating this area further by licking. The best thing to do is to get him to the vet A.S.A.P. for them to start him on oral antibiotics most likely once they evaluate the area.