Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

My 11 year old ShihTzu started walking stiffly yesterday with

Customer Question

My 11 year old ShihTzu started walking stiffly yesterday with a hunched back. Earlier today she was less stiff but I just gave her a bath and noticed that the sides of her stomach area seem very hard and extended.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- Any vomiting?

2- Is she on any medications?

3- Was the stiffness on all 4 legs?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No vomiting, drinking lots, no constipation. She is not on any meds and the stiffness/wobbling action is on the hind legs only. She will only sit or lay - no vets open in my area.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.

Is it fair to say to she drinking more then usual?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When she drinks, she drinks a lot, however, she mostly just wants to lay in her bed and grunts when you pick her up - I am quite concerned about the hardness around her mid section.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.

Arch back is a sign of pain; which could be either related to abdominal pain or back pain. The fact you notice hardness in the abdomen, it could be related to abdominal pain. I normally would recommend pain killers like Buffered Aspirin, but, in this case, I will recommend not to give any Buffered Aspirin until she is seen by a vet and determines what is the cause of this pain. The aspirin could make certain abdominal conditions worst. I will recommend have her checked in the morning by your vet.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX just found a vet that is open - may I email you later to tell you the diagnosis?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.
Great!!! I will be on for another 30 mins. But, will be back on tomorrow morning. Would like to hear very much the diagnosis. Thank You.