DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine- class of 2007.
24095035

My 22 lb. terrier mix just swallowed a round, approx. one-and-a

My 22 lb. terrier mix just swallowed a round, approx. one-and-a quarter inch diameter, bone from a ham slice - WHOLE. She seems just fine, but I'm afraid it cannot pass through her system. What should I do?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 4 years ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question.

You are right, there is a significant danger that this bone will get stuck somewhere along her GI tract and cause a problem. Here are some options for you:

1. If she ate this in the last 30 min you can try and make her vomit it out. Give 1-2 tablespoons hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting. Retry in 5 minutes if it doesn't work the first time. If it still doesnt work, do not try again and do not try if it has been more than 30 min.

2. Go to the vet immediately. In some cases they can pass a scope into the stomach and try to remove the foreign object if it is still there. They have other drugs to try and induce vomiting. And/or they can watch her overnight and be ready to intervene if they need to.

3. Watch the dog very closely over the next 12 - 24 hours (or until you see bone in the stool). Any sign of abdominal discomfort: distension, vomiting, diarrhea (especially bloody), dry heaving, inappetance, will warrant an IMMEDIATE trip to the vet.

I hope this has been helpful and I hope your puppy does well!

Sincerely
Dr. Melissa
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience: University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine- class of 2007.