Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

I have a 3 months old Weimaraner.. i have noticed he is breathing

Customer Question

I have a 3 months old Weimaraner.. i have noticed he is breathing faster for the past 4 hours... he is sleeping now... he is on Fenbendazole for the past 3 days.( 5cc once a day)( for Giardia)
He seems to "cough" 2 =3 times in a row and try to regurgitate something.. but nothing comes out except a bit of white saliva.I have the dog since 8days.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- How often is he coughing?

2- Is the cough like hacking?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he coughs only if he moves fast or like more effort is needed such as climbing stairs..

When in his bed or barely moving, he doesn't cough

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.

It sounds like he has an upper respiratory infection. If it is related to a virus his body will get rid of it. If he develops a thick nasal discharge then it is caused by a bacterial infection and will need antibiotics from your vet. In the meantime, for the cough you could give 1 teaspoon of robitussin DM every 6 hours. Follow up with your vet on Monday.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do i have to be concerned about is faster breathing or it is normal ... and is it ok i wait until monday? ( that is my last question)
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Can you get a respiratory rate by count his breaths for 1 minute; 1 in and 1 out = 1 breath?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
78 pulsations for one minute... but very irregular.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
His respiration is very fast, I will retract what I said earlier about waiting until Monday and try to get him in tomorrow to see your day vet. He may have a lower respiratory infection. Limit his physical activity until he is breathing better.