Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have a 3 months old Weimaraner.. i have noticed he is breathing

I have a 3 months old Weimaraner.. i have noticed he is breathing faster for the past 4 hours... he is sleeping now... he is on Fenbendazole for the past 3 days.( 5cc once a day)( for Giardia)
He seems to "cough" 2 =3 times in a row and try to regurgitate something.. but nothing comes out except a bit of white saliva.I have the dog since 8days.

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- How often is he coughing?

2- Is the cough like hacking?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

he coughs only if he moves fast or like more effort is needed such as climbing stairs..

When in his bed or barely moving, he doesn't cough

It sounds like he has an upper respiratory infection. If it is related to a virus his body will get rid of it. If he develops a thick nasal discharge then it is caused by a bacterial infection and will need antibiotics from your vet. In the meantime, for the cough you could give 1 teaspoon of robitussin DM every 6 hours. Follow up with your vet on Monday.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
do i have to be concerned about is faster breathing or it is normal ... and is it ok i wait until monday? ( that is my last question)
Can you get a respiratory rate by count his breaths for 1 minute; 1 in and 1 out = 1 breath?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
78 pulsations for one minute... but very irregular.
His respiration is very fast, I will retract what I said earlier about waiting until Monday and try to get him in tomorrow to see your day vet. He may have a lower respiratory infection. Limit his physical activity until he is breathing better.