Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

We have a dutch rabbit that may be sick. His front paws show

We have a dutch rabbit that may be sick. His front paws show evidence that he may be wiping his nose. His nose is not bubbling but might be a little more wet than normal. There are no bubbles coming out his nose. When he breathes there seems to be a gurgle ever so often. His breathing seems to be a little more shallow. He's not eating his grain, however, its a new brand, he IS eating the alfalfa blocks and nibbles on carrots. my rabbit sick? We were at a show with him 2 weeks ago and there was a rabbit there in which the judge DQ'd due to his runny nose.

Thanks for using, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

It is very possible that your rabbit has an upper respiratory infection. If caught early often all you'll see is mild discharge and gurgling. As the infection progresses then it will include bubbling of the nose, sneezing etc. The other possibility is that your rabbit is having trouble with it's teeth. Not the ones in front but the molars in the back. If there are teeth problems then you can get gurgling sounds along with the excessive drooling that accompanies this issue. BotXXXXX XXXXXne is I'd have him examined by your vet ASAP. If it is an infection it is likely it can be cleared by the next show. If it's teeth they can be trimmed and the drooling will stop.

I hope this helps, best wishes.

Dr. Dan

Edited by Doctor Dan on 4/1/2010 at 11:58 PM EST