Dr. Beall
Dr. Beall, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian for 10 years. Own and operate small animal exclusive practice.

Ive had a 7 month old male kitten in my home isolated for 1

Ive had a 7 month old male kitten in my home isolated for 1 month - he's had stinky poo and drinks a lot of water so took him to vet friday. diagnosed with stomach infection. lots of white blood cells. he had an absess and was on anti biodic 4 weeks ago when I got him. now one antibiodic again. should I be concerened?

Hello and welcome to Just Answer,

Thanks for your question concerning your kitten. I need some additional information to help out.

1. What is your kittens name?

2. What medication is he currently on and what dose?

3. Did your veterinarain viral test him for FELV (feline leukemia virus), FIV (feline immunodeficiency virus), or FIP (feline infectious Peritonitis)?

4. How is he acting otherwise? Active? Eating/Drinking?

5. What food is he currently eating?

Reply back and I will try to help you out.

Dr. Beall

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Do.,

His name is XXXXX XXXXX is eating Iams kitten food and friskies party treats. He's on 1/2 ml Flagyl liquid 80 mg/ml and he's acting great. but it's been 5 days since I've been gin=ving him meds 2 times a day and he still has a big tummy with smelly soft stool.

Did your veterinarian viral test him for FELV (feline leukemia virus), FIV (feline immunodeficiency virus), or FIP (feline infectious Peritonitis)?

Thanks for the additional information on Harley. It would be extremely important to have him viral tested if he had not already been as listed above. Additionally, you should have his fecal sample checked for internal parasites, as parasites can cause a big belly with loose stools. Even if the fecal sample is negative, I would have Harley dewormed as the parasites can intermittently shed the eggs that we pick up in the fecal sample.

I tend to see that some cats don't tolerate some brands of food as well as others etc. That is great that Harley is on Flagyl as I typically put them on this medication as well. I would consider trying a prescription food such as Science Diet i/d (for intestinal disease) as it is bland and highly digestible to see if that makes a difference.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have additional questions. Good luck with Harley!

Dr. Beall

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I heard back from the vet last night and he has an infection. they didn't test for any of the ones you mentioned. I have a 8 year cat. should I keep him quarinteened? The diseases you mentioned, are they dangerous??? thanks for your help.

Thanks for the additional information. Yes, it would be extremely important to keep them separated, until Harley is better and he has been viral tested for FELV/FIV/FIP.

The FELV/FIV/FIP can be serious diseases, even life threatening, so I always test my new kittens for them prior to introducing them to a household already with cats.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Dr. Beall