Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Board certified in reproduction in all species with 14 years of private practice experience.

helping bitch come into season

helping bitch come into season,so what can I do to get her to com into season she had a litter of puppies one year ago and has hot had a season sence then .She is a very healthy happy english bulldog that is almont 3 y/o and I want to breed her one more time
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
You want to wait until she has not been in season for 18 months. At that point, she has something called secondary anestrus. There are several known causes for this, including: thyroid disease, cushing's disease, silent heats, steroid therapy and ovarian cysts. If she hasn't come in by 18 months, take her to the vet for a physical and let them rule out thyroid disease, cushing's disease and ovarian cysts with a blood profile (must include progesterone level). If all is normal, your choices for induction of estrus are cabergoline orally, given daily until she comes in heat, or a GnRH agonist (deslorelin implant). These are currently the most reliable methods of estrus induction in the canine. You should work with someone who has done this before and can time her ovulation so appropriate insemination can take place and a c-section can be scheduled. You must be committed, as it is kind of a big deal to induce estrus in the canine. I hope this helps!