How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Stacy Your Own Question
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1545
Experience:  10 years of experience in Small Animal Practice
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Stacy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My cat has a hard lump on her back left hip that is growing

Resolved Question:

My cat has a hard lump on her back left hip that is growing larger. Our veterinary told us l in 10,000 cats get a tumor at their vaccination site & this was most likely what is was. The Vet. told us a biospy would be required & if benign, it could be removed. If malignant, its growth would be rapid & would require major surgery including amputation. Does diagnosis sounds logical to you?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 6 years ago.

Your vet is right. About 1 in 10,000 cats have a tendency to develop fibrosarcomas (cancer) at injection sights. Vaccines are the most common trigger, but we see them after antibiotic injections too. The FELV vaccine is the biggest offender and it is usually given in the left hip/leg. Fibrosarcomas are firm, rapidly growing masses so this could be one. If it is a fibrosarcoma simple removal of the mass is surgically difficult and ineffective because it comes right back. Amputation of the entire leg is usually needed to get all of the tumor. Amputation provides a cure in about 75% of cases. In the other 25% we find that the tumor is already spread either up the leg or to other parts of the body. If money is not a concern then it is best to do an MRI before surgery to determine how deep the tumor is invading.


It sounds like your vet is making the right recommendation to get the biopsy and confirm that it is fibrosarcoma and then pursue treatment accordingly.


I hope that helps, but if you have more questions let me know.


Dr. Stacy

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I guess we feel that the biopsy isn't going to change the inevitable. It sounds pretty well cut & dried & NOT GOOD! So instead of putting 14 yr. old kitty who we love dearly through the biopsy, we feel we're just going to accept that we're dealing with a terminal situation & enjoy her company as long as we can. I hope we're not copping out by not going with a biopsy, but feel that it sounds like her fate is already sealed so that's what we're going with. Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 6 years ago.

The only other thing that your vet could do is a needle aspirate. It can be done awake and is relatively painless. It is not as accurate as a biopsy but may allow you to get a diagnosis without the kind of pain and expense of a biopsy. But you are right, if a leg amputation with a 75% cure rate is not in your plans then enjoying the time you have left may be the right decision.


Dr. Stacy

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One more thought. Online it said these tumors show up within 3-12 months of vaccination. Our cat hasn't had any vaccinations for 2 yrs. Does this time frame make sense?
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 6 years ago.

I usually see them 1-3 years post vaccination...... I have never seen on less than 6 months after a vaccine.


Dr. Stacy

Dr. Stacy and 2 other Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you

Related Veterinary Questions