Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal veterinary medicine

Hello we have a mini pincher approximately 10 years old. She

Hello we have a mini pincher approximately 10 years old. She is throwing up and cannot go to the bathroom. Do you have any suggestions
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.

How long has she been vomiting? Is she acting really down and depressed?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes she is and will not eat or drink at all.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.
Why is she having the vomiting could be due to a couple different reasons. It could be due to her having eaten something that is just not sitting well - ate some table scraps, got into the garbage, new food, etc. It could also be due to something being stuck - a foreign body. It could be due to a viral infection. It could be due to other metabolic issues. Being able to tell what of these it is due to requires a physical exam, x-rays, and some blood work. At this time, it is good that she's jumping like normal, but the shaky legs do have me concerned that he may be more dehydrated than we realize. I would recommend having her seen as soon as possible to determine what is going on and how best she can be treated.

If a veterinary visit isn't possible here tonight, I'd fast her for 10 hours. No treats, no food, nothing. You can offer a small amount of water after the 10 hours, but don't allow her to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in her bowl so that she can't gulp water will help).

After having access to the water for 1 hour, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1/4 c every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor for recurring vomiting. If the vomiting doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in her regular food over the next few days until you're back to just it.

If the vomiting persists despite this, or if she becomes lethargic, begins to have diarrhea or shows other 'unusual' signs, you need to have her seen by a vet to figure out what is going on.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She has been diagnosed with a heart problem. Congestive heart disease. She has also been coughing for approximately three months. Now we are experiencing this.