Dr. C
Dr. C, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years in companion,exotics, birds,horses vet practice. Animal owner45 years.

I TOOK MY 7.5 YEAR OLD CAT TO THE VETS. SHE HAD A VERY ROUGH

I TOOK MY 7.5 YEAR OLD CAT TO THE VETS. SHE HAD A VERY ROUGH SPOT ON HER BACK NEAR HER RIGHT SHOULDER BLADE. I TOOK HER IN AND IT WAS ALSO BLEEDING. IT APPEARED OUT OF NO WHERE. SHE IS ALSO AN INDOORS CAT. THE VET SHAVED THE WHOLE AREA EVEN THE SORE SPOT. SHE GAVE HER AN ANTIBIOTIC IN A NEEDLE. (SLOW ACTING FOR 2 WEEKS.) IT HELPED BUT SHE RECEIVED ONE MORE DOSE AND IT HEALED THE REST OF THE SORE SPOT. ONE PROBLEM I HAVE IS THAT WHERE SHE SHAVED HER THE FUR HAS COME BACK LIKE PEACH FUZZ AND IT LOOKS FUNNY. SHE WAS DONE IN JANUARY. YOU CAN SEE HER SKIN THROUGH THE PEACH FUZZ. SHE HAS SCRATCHED HERSELF ON THE SHAVED ARES. WHAT HAS CAUSED HER FUR FROM FULLY GROWING BACK. I AM WORRIED SHE WILL REALLY SCRATCH THIS AREA AND HAVE AN INFECTION. WHY HAS THIS HAPPENED?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. C replied 4 years ago.

Hi-

The fact that fur is growing but growing slowly is what I understand your concern is today. Since it is winter in the northern hemisphere, the winter coats go into a resting phase and soon as spring approaches, the hair will begin to be shed again. I would imagine that the kitty will soon grow new hair, although it only grows about 1/4 of an inch a month when it is growing season. Also, some kitties have issues with thyroid gland disease. I don't think this is the case, since there is "fuzz" growing. If there were no hair, then I would be concerned about that. If your kitty is eating, drinking, and doing well otherwise, it probably is just that the hair is in its resting phase.

I hope this is helpful. Please push ACCEPT and thanks!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ANSWER. I WILL WATCH FOR THE CHANGE IN HER FUR, CHANGING FROM WINTER TO SPRING. THIS SURE LOOKS STRANGE RIGHT NOW.Customer
Expert:  Dr. C replied 4 years ago.
I hope all works well for you.
Dr. C, Veterinarian
Experience: 30 years in companion,exotics, birds,horses vet practice. Animal owner45 years.