Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice

My grandson has a small water turtle. On the front part of

My grandson has a small water turtle. On the front part of the shell there is whiteness. My daughter states that the shell is soft in these spots. My questions are, What is it and what should she do for the turtle?

Thank You,
Worried Grandma
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
If you've ever watched turtles in a pond, they spend a lot of time sunbathing. There is a very good reason for that, they need to make Vitamin D3 to maintain their shells and bones. If your grandson's little guy isn't getting enough light the problem you've described may be due to a lack of Vitamin D3 secondary to a lack of sunlight.
While other things can cause similar conditions, this is the most common cause.
Tell your grandson to make sure his turtle has at least 4 hours of direct sunlight daily.
We can't rule out a secondary invader like a fungus or bacteria, so the little guy really ought to be examined by a veterinarian for the best treatment and outcome.
If I may be of further assistance, please let me know.
Best regards.
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years in practice