Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

I have a female kitten who is 7 months old and also a male

I have a female kitten who is 7 months old and also a male kitten who is 2 months old. Now, they both have the same mother, but the female kitten is from the litter before the male kitten. However, the female kitten is breastfeeding the male kitten. is this weird or normal? Does this mean that the 7 month old female kitten may be pregnant? What should I do? I am a bit weirded out that younger kitten (who is a male) is breastfeeding from his older sister. PLEASE HELP ME AND SUGGEST WHAT I SHOULD DO. (I do have plans to get the 7 month old female kitten de-sexed asap).
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
Cats are quite unaware of human ethical standards! The little guy missed nursing on his mom, found that Sis was willing to let him do his thing, and he's doing it.
Sis may be pregnant at seven months, but it is just barely possible. She needn't be pregnant in order to have the little guy nursing on her. Unless you can express milk he's not really getting anything to eat from her.
Having her de-sexed is a very good idea if you don't want kittens, and the sooner the better!
You can stop this behavior with an awful tasting product like Bitter Apple, Chew Check or Yuk!. Lightly dab one of these just on her little nipples, and he should repent of his evil ways in haste! This will not harm Sis, but she may lick it and react pretty energetically to the bad taste.
if I may be of further assistance to you, please let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello Dr.Rob
Thank-you for your reply. It is most helpful. You answered all my questions in a well to understand way. I don't mind sis nursing her brother, it is quite nice that she is willing to do it. Thank-you for putting my mind at ease.
-Peta