Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Hiya, my 2 year old cocker spaniel decided it would be a good

Customer Question

Hiya, my 2 year old cocker spaniel decided it would be a good idea to jump over our 4ft high fence, unfortunately there is nothing but a further 2ft drop into a ditch on the other side. I managed to get him back but I am worried about him,is it possible he could have a concussion, he has no physical problems from his little adventure but he is definitely not himself, we have none of the usual excited behaviour, tail wagging has almost completely stopped (usually it never stops) he is laying down & sleeping a lot, is difficult to awaken & his pupils seem rather dilated, all this from a dog who usually has boundless energy & enthusiasm. How long should I leave it til I take it further?
Many Thanks
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 years ago.
HI Michelle and welcome to Justanswer!

Has your guy eaten well since this episode?

Have you seen improvement since the episode?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He hasn't had anything to eat since, it only happened 2 hours ago, dinner isn't for another 3 hours, should I try to feed him?
No, there hasn't been any improvement yet
Oh, I am sorry. I didn't realize it just happened...

Yes, it is possible for dogs to get a concussion and most often they do not require treatment. For now, I would give him a treat to see if he will eat it. If he is interested, give him a few more hours to watch him. If he improves after a few hours, then he will be fine. If you cannot get him to walk with you or be attentive, then have your vet examine him.

Most likely, he is just stunned and will come out of this in a few hours.

Good Luck!