How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Scott Your Own Question
Dr. Scott
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 15168
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Scott is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i think my chinchilla ate rat poison what do i do

Customer Question

i think my chinchilla ate rat poison what do i do
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
Hello there,

If he ingested rat poison, the situation is very serious. You need to have him examined by your vet today. Take the box of poison with you so they know what type was ingested. He will need to be treated with vitamin K for the next several weeks to counteract the poison.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we cant find a vet to take the chinchilla is there anything that we can do at home
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
There is nothing to do at home. You need to find someone to examine him. I would call all th local pet stores and see who they use for veterinary care. I would also call the local zoo if you have one, they will work with exotic vets as well.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok if i was to find a vet would they be able to save him
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
If you find one today and get him on the correct medication he should survive. Rat poison takes a few days to destroy the clotting ability of the blood. Once that starts, the prognosis is very poor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i think that he may have gotten in it yesterday because we noticed today that hes acting sick and the top of his nose is bloody likes hes been scratching it and his eyelids underneath are red does this mean that he's about to die that we dont have a chance now?

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
If he ingested it yesterday, he definitely needs to be seen today. Pinpoint bruises will form on the gums, abdomen and whites of the eyes when it is getting past the point of no return.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.

Related Veterinary Questions