Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of small animal veterinary medicine

I have a 15 week old black lab that is about 23 lbs, and threw

I have a 15 week old black lab that is about 23 lbs, and threw up 3 times yesterday. This morning he passed blood in his stool, and is not interested in eating or drinking. He is not himself, and seems very slugish. We cannot afford a vet bill at this time, so are there any recommendations what we could do for our puppy. Thank you
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer
Can you tell me if this little guy has been through his puppy vaccines? Has he received any? How long have you had him?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He has had his Parvovirus Vaccine, and Canine Distemper-Adenovirus Type 2 Parainfluenza. We got him from a resque pound at 8 wks of age, and he has been very healthy until yesterday.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
Ok. I always ask these questions in a young dog like this. The reason is I'm trying to figure out risk for certain causes of the vomiting.
Why is he having the vomiting could be due to a couple different reasons. It could be due to him having eaten something that is just not sitting well - ate some table scraps, got into the garbage, new food, etc. It could also be due to something being stuck - a foreign body. It could be due to a viral infection - parvo or distemper. It could be due to other metabolic issues. Being able to tell what of these it is due to requires a physical exam, x-rays, and some blood work. I always recommend having him seen as soon as possible to determine what is going on and how best he can be treated.
If a veterinary visit isn't possible, I'd fast him for 10 hours. No treats, no food, nothing. You can offer a small amount of water after the 10 hours, but don't allow him to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in her bowl so that he can't gulp water will help).
After having access to the water for 1 hour, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1/4 c every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor for recurring vomiting. If the vomiting doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in his regular food over the next few days until you're back to just it.
If the vomiting persists despite this, or if he becomes lethargic, begins to have diarrhea or shows other 'unusual' signs, you need to have him seen by a vet to figure out what is going on.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years of small animal veterinary medicine