Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have more than 30 years of veterinary practice experience.

out of his sleep he went into a seisure, starting walking backwards

Customer Question

out of his sleep he went into a seisure, starting walking backwards then turning around on the ground shaking and foaming at the mouth. It lasted around 15 minutes then he became conscience. then went to sleep. heavy breathing. then he woke up again around two hours later/
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
I am sorry to hear about your little dog.

There are many causes of seizures in young dogs: epilepsy, low blood sugar, and a condition called a liver shunt, just to name a few of the more common causes. Liver shunts are particularly common in small breeds like Maltese. What happens is that there is a shunt of the blood that is supposed to go to the liver, but is shunted around it instead. The blood that is supposed to be cleansed by the liver goes straight to the brain, and seizures can occur.

I would start with a good physical exam by your veterinarian, and before starting him on seizure medication, having him tested for a liver shunt, or low blood sugar.

Hope this helps, Rebecca