Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

my dog was attacted by a dog on saturday the dog locked his

Customer Question

my dog was attacted by a dog on saturday the dog locked his jews on his neck it took some time to get him off my dog is a cross collie so the other dog had only got his flabby skin area of his neck there wasnt a lot of blood but a lot of swelling and he wouldnt let me look at the time ive been cleaning the wound with salt water as best as i can now the sweelling as gone down i can see the bite it is deep and smells a bit and weeeping a bit is there any thing else i can do im feeling vey guilty for not getting him to vets but i can not aford it he is eating normal and being his normal self
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
While this is a vital area with the jugular veins, carotid arteries and teh trachea (wind pipe) all very close, it sounds as if you dog got away with a flesh wound.
This should heal up relatively quickly, barring infection. An antibiotic would quickly cover this situation, but using hydrogen peroxide twice daily is the next best thing, it is a distant second, however. The bad smell may indicate the beginning of an infection that can make your dog very sick, or worse.
If you absolutely can't afford veterinary care for him, "boil" out the punctures with fresh medical grade (3%) hydrogen peroxide. Apply hot wet washcloths soaked in dishwater hot water for twenty minutes twice daily for seven days.
As long as he's eating and the wound doesn't pour out lots of pus or swell greatly, you may be able to nurse him through this injury.
Borrowing the money from a friend or relative and getting him to a veterinarian would be the wisest course of action, though.
Good luck!
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years in practice
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
where can i get hydrogen peroxcide from i have some antibiotics of my own amoxicillin 500mg capsules would i be able 2 give this to my dog
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
Hello again! I'm sorry I should have told you that you can buy hydrogen peroxide at any drugstore very reasonably.
Best regards,
Dr. Bob

Please do not hit the accept button again as the system will charge you again!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

you have not replied about the amoxicillin can i give this to my dog

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
Hi again, I actually sent my followup[p post before receiving yours, sorry.
Yes amoxicillin is quite good in dogs. One capsule twice daily will be a big help in getting this under control. Be warned, however, that there are resistant bacteria around that may not respond, so if you see the signs I mentioned earlier, do what you must to get the money to get him to your veterinarian.
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes thankyou i will keep a close eye on him think its time to get pet insurance thank you
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
You're welcome!