Dr. Johnson
Dr. Johnson, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animals, special interest in orthopedics and neurology
31062341

My puppy, 3 months seems to be having fits He goes stiff

Customer Question

My puppy, 3 months seems to be having 'fits' He goes stiff - sitting up- then foams at the mouth and 'loses control'. the whole thing lasts no longer that 10-15 seconds, then he runs wild, from the 1 end of the house to the other. He has not had any symptoms that would concern me that he is ill. He is a very happy active puppy????
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Johnson replied 4 years ago.
Hello there,

This is a cause for concern and I would highly recommend you taking your dog in to the vet for some bloodwork and an exam. Fits in such a young dog may be due to an exposure to an exogenous toxin, or may result from a congenital abnormality such as a liver shunt, where blood is not filtered properly by the liver causing a buildup of toxins in the bloodstream. Your vet can do a physical exam and run some bloodwork that may help determine the cause of the fitting, but it is not safe to just leave the puppy and hope he gets better.

I hope this helps.