Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice

I have a litter of syrian hamsters that are 11 days old. One

I have a litter of syrian hamsters that are 11 days old. One of the pups has been injured and has some blood coming from it's nose. It is breathing with difficulty but is kicking and moving around the cage some what. Mom does not seem to be too concerned and I'm not sure if he is eating as mom is sitting on them and he is under her. I'm very concerned and don't want to find a dead hamster in the morning. Is there anything I can do to help him along. Any special foods or feedings that might help with healing. I have not noticed any lumps but is clearly have some difficultly breathing. Is this a hopeless venture?!
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of the problem you're having with your little guy. I well know the helpless feeling one has when trying to help a little creature, in fact,it is one of the reasons I became a veterinarian.
Unfortunately, there isn't really much that you, or anyone else can do for this tiny creature. The blood from the nose indicates an injury to his head or nose itself. This may or may not be life threatening, but mama is the only one in the whole world who can nurse him through this.
Handling him may cause her to reject, or worse, attack him, since he's injured, so all you can do is to watch, and hope he comes through okay.
If he continues to nurse, he'll more than likely live and heal up just fine.
If you have further questions please let me know.
Good luck!