Dr. Karen
Dr. Karen, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 5 years experience- Graduated vet school with honors
8954214

My dog may have encountered an armadillo. he came back in with

My dog may have encountered an armadillo. he came back in with his eye all red and a small amount of blood coming out of the inside corner of his eye. What do I do? He is calm...
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 4 years ago.
Hi there- Can you post a picture of the injured eye? Use the tree icon on the toolbar.
Dr Karen
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
<p>Yes one moment we are working on it</p><p>Did you get it?</p>
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 4 years ago.
No I didn't get it. Thats ok.
Can he hold the eye open or is he holding it closed? Is it still actively bleeding?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

graphic

Hopefully the picture went through this time. He is tending to keep it closed, but he will open it. It appears to be a little swollen. Should I attempt to put ice on it?

Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 4 years ago.
The picture isn't working...but no big deal.

Eye injuries can be very serious. It sounds like he could have scratched his cornea (also called a corneal ulcer)- and this has the potential to become a sight-threatening injury to the eye.
I do no think you should apply ice or apply pressure to it in any way. This could make the injury worse.
Unfortunately I really think you should consider having your dog seen by an emergency vet if possible tonight. If this is not possible, it needs to be examined as soon as possible in the morning. I do not recommend that you attempt to treat or touch the eye at all yourself tonight.

Hope this helps, write back if you have more questions.
Dr Karen
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He is opening his eye now and actually played with a toy a little bit on his own. I haven't seen any more blood to wipe away from his eye. I don't know.So, no ice, should I bandage it in any way?
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 4 years ago.
No bandage. Have him looked at in the morning if he seems to feel better right now and he is not actively bleeding.
Dr. Karen, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 5 years experience- Graduated vet school with honors