Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 yrs as vet; 20+ yrs in animal care; interests incl: breeding, skin probs, behavior, shelter med

Hello, i just got a cocker spaniel puppy (9weeks) on sunday,

Customer Question

Hello, i just got a cocker spaniel puppy (9weeks) on sunday, on monday i took him to the vet and apparently he is ok......to me he is underweight......and since sunday's night he is having diarrea, at the vet's office they check for parasites and came back negative....today he started to vomit....whatever he ate he vomited back out......
i am so nervous and worried that he might have Parvo....i am freaking out.....what should we do right now.....i live in Dallas, Tx and don't know what to do or where to go....please help.....Does he have Parvo??? Should i find a 24 hour emergency clinic???
I appreciate for any help or comment......
Yang
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 4 years ago.
Yang,
I need a little more information/clarification to help you.

Has the puppy had any vaccinations? If so, what and when?
You said you got him on Sunday, he started having diarrhea that night, and on Monday you took him to the vet. Do I understand that correctly?
Did you tell the vet he was having diarrhea?
When they checked for parasites, do you know if they used a loop device to get feces from his rectum, or did you provide a stool sample for them?
Has he been dewormed at all? If so, when and with what?
Do I understand correctly that he has been continuing to have diarrhea since Sunday - that he has not had a normal stool since then?
He started vomiting today, right? How frequently has he been vomiting?
Is he still interested in eating? How has he appetite been for the last couple days, before he started vomiting?
Is he still drinking? And if so, is he keeping the fluids down?
How is his activity level, and how has it been?
Did they weigh him at the vet's? If so, what was his weight?

I know these are a lot of questions, and a lot of detail, but the more information you can provide, the better I can answer you. Thanks.

Dr. Z
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Dr Z, the paper says that they gave him the 1st 2 shots, the 3rd one is schedule for april 17, and yes he started having diarrhea from sunday, and on monday they checked for parasites with the loop from his rectum, since we couldn't get the stool sample, he is still having diarrhea but he was given antibiotics and already took 2, 1 yesterday and 1 today, and his stool is a little bit better...its not water anymore, at least i can pick it up with tissues....he vomited today around 4:30 after i feed him, and ever since....we did took a kind of long walk....and after we came back he drank a lot of water....so he has vomited a lot of water as well, before today, his appetite has been very normal i would say, in fact he would kind of bark at me if i was getting too close to his food when he eats......so after all these vomiting i don't think he is keeping any fluids down since he vomited it all out, he just urinated, and it was on the carpet, the amount of urine is the size of a quarter....
thanks Dr Z

Yang
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 4 years ago.
Yang,
I need a little more clarification.

Does the paper say when he was given the previous 2 shots? Did he get a vaccination from the vet's on Monday?
Do you know what the medication is that you are giving him now? If not, what does it look like?
Is the amount he urinated about what he normally does? Could you tell if it was really clear or more yellow, or if it smelled strongly or not?
How is his activity level now? Is he still fairly playful and alert?
Did you take that long walk before or after he started vomiting?

Thanks,
Dr. Z
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr Z, i am very worry now, he just had another diarrhea, this time it looked like it had blood in it, i took a sample of it so i can take it to my vet....the stool felt like jello, and the color is yellowish......
he started vomiting after the walk and after he drank water.....in fact when i was cleaning the vomit, i even found grass in it....he was very playful these few days, even today after we came back from the walk and during the walk......now he is seems sleepy and tired..... usually he urinates a lot...it doesn't smell very strong...the medication that the vet gave me is called metronidazole (tiny tab) 50mg (5 tabs) and the vaccinations that he has is vanguard plus 5 ( 2 shots of these) and Panacure (3 shots ) my vet told me that the people has misspelled Panacure.....so i really don't know if they really gave him the shots....or he is infected with Parvo.....i am dead nervous that he won't even make it trough the night.....please help me what shoould i do....what else coudl i do.....please help me Dr Z, i already fell in love with this puppy...
thanks for your help,
yang
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 4 years ago.
Yang,
I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you.

There are a number of things that could be going on, but considering his age and the history, I would definitely be concerned about parvo. Intestinal parasites can also cause vomiting and diarrhea. Also, some pets have adverse reactions to metronidazole - including nausea, vomiting and lethargy.

If you feel he is so sick that he may not make it through the night, you should definitely get him into an emergency veterinary clinic in your area. If nothing else, they will be able to test him for parvo and rule that in or out, and evaluate his condition to determine what care he needs immediately.

You said you were in Dallas, TX. Here are some emergency veterinary clinics in the Dallas area. If one is not close to you, you should be able to call them and ask where the nearest one is.

LBJ / Greenville AveXXXXX Ste 118 (at Markville)
Dallas, TX 75243
Phone: (972) 994 -9110

Bush Turnpike / Central (75)
401 W. Pres Bush Tpke, Ste 113

Richardson, TX 75080
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />

Uptown Dallas

3337 N. Fitzhugh
Dallas, TX 75204

(214) (NNN) NNN-NNNN

North Texas Emergency Pet Clinic
1712 West Frankford Suite #108
Carrollton, TX 75007
phone: (NNN) NNN-NNNN

Good luck with your pup. I hope it turns out to be nothing serious. If you have further questions, I should be online for a little while longer.

Dr. Z

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 4 years ago.
Yang,

How's your pup doing this morning? Did you get him into an emergency clinic last night?

Dr. Z