Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College, diplomate of American Academy of Pain Management
20949193

i put my dog outside to do her business and she did, after,

i put my dog outside to do her business and she did, after, she got curious and wondered into the yard-she was going to sneak away, I know my dog, I called to her and noticed that she was limping and not applying pressure on her rear leg (foot). We carried her in and inspected her paw and any obvious sign of problems and cant seem to find any. Its not swollen, shes not wimpering or in pain but she cannot apply pressure to it. She is an 11 yr old shar-pei. I have given her 2 canine aspirin and have it iced. What else should I do or check.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

Just a couple of questions to clarify...

1. How much aspirin have you given?
2. Is she on any other medication?
3. Has she been fairly healthy otherwise?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i gave her 2 k9 aspirins they are 300 mg each and she is a giant shar pei not fat but she is the size a a chow chow and she weighs about 81-83 lbs. she is not on any other medication at all and has been extremely healthy. She has excellent skin and ears and eyes. she has recently developed a little cyst on her eye lid but her vet says its fine and I just apply drops daily to soothe it.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 4 years ago.
Thank you,

The most common rear leg injury in dogs, by far, is an injury to a cruciate ligament (equivalent to ACL of a human). The injury could range from a sprain to a complete tear but the symptoms are similar - sudden appearance of a limp, with partial weight bearing and intermittent carrying of the limb, made worse by rest, but getting better with activity.

I would not give any more aspirin. The dose you gave is low enough not to cause problems (which are VERY common - stomach bleeding/ulcers, blood clotting problems) but also may not be high enough to have a pain relieving and antiinflammatory effect. Icing the limb (I would concentrate on the knee) will be helpful - do it three times a day, 5 min each. Take her out on leash only, long enough to use bathroom, then back inside; no running, playing, jumping or doing stairs for at least 2 weeks. Ligaments take about 6-8 weeks to heal, so keep this in mind in case this is a partial tear.

I would wait 2-3 days and if limping does not resolve with rest and icing, take her to your vet for evaluation; please mention the aspirin, because most dog pain medications cannot be given within 5-7 days of the last dose of aspirin.

If limping goes away, continue to restrict activity and monitor. Hopefully, it's just a minor soft tissue injury...

Hope this helps; please let me know if you have any other questions; best of luck!
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College, diplomate of American Academy of Pain Management
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you very much!
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 4 years ago.
You're welcome; take care!

Edited by Dr. Gene on 4/1/2010 at 2:29 AM EST