Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College

I need cat help! My cat goes outside in the summer. What

I need cat help!
My cat goes outside in the summer.
What is the recommended safe and effective spot prophylaxis for fleas and ticks?
Mitch Marsh

PS. I am a hospital pharmacist.
Curious if Biospot, Frontline Plus, or Advantage (or Advantix) would be the preferred product.

Or, can you steer me to a legitimate review?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,

The best product to use is one that protects against fleas, ticks, intestinal parasites and heartworm disease, such as Revolution. Heartworm disease and intestinal parasites are just as, if not more common than fleas and can be much more dangerous. Revolution and like products cannot be purchased at a petstore, you'll have to see your vet for it. The next best thing is Frontline or Advantage, which you can get at petstore, but intestinal parasites (some of which are contagious to people) and heartworm disease will remain a threat.

Look at this link for product comparison:

Hope this helps; please let me know if you have any other questions; best of luck!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Dr Gene:

Then you think the selamectin has a satisfactory safety and efficacy response vs. Frontline with the Fipronil & S-methoprene, vs. Advantage with Imidacloprid?
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 6 years ago.
As far as efficacy of flea control is concerned, Revolution, Frontline Plus and Advantage are very similar; there have been some reports that some flea populations have acquired resistance to Frontline (ie fipronil) Plus, but this has not really been seen clinically. Selamectin offers the benefit of being a systemic rather than topical drug, which cannot be washed off, plus it has the advantage offering effective protection against roundworms, hookworms and heartworm disease.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I thought Revolution was a TOPICAL treatment.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 6 years ago.
Yes, it is a topical treatment as far as the application is concerned, but selamectin does not stay topical, it is absorbed into the bloodstream and becomes systemic; this is how it can achieve intestinal parasite and heartworm disease prevention...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Got it, Thanks. XXXXX just ineffective, then? There are a lot of anecdotal reports of toxicity for cats with Biospot. I wonder if some of those people acidentally used the dog product with permethrin on their with disasteris results? I don't question the effectiveness of the selamectin.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. BioSpot is effective just more potential for adverse reactions.. You have no idea how common it is for cats to become severely affected by as little as brushing against a dog that has pyrethrin based product on!