Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice

Hi, we have a 6 yr old mixed breed dog, about 60 lbs. who tore

Hi, we have a 6 yr old mixed breed dog, about 60 lbs. who tore both ACL's in her rear knees. Last summer, we had the dog's knees surgically repaired with the "fishing line" technique. One knee was done in July and the other was done in September. She has progressed very well and can now run and walk, and does stairs. Pretty normal, other than she tires earlier and she has a stiffer gait in her rear legs than she did originally. Today, we noticed a hard pointy spot on her left knee. I'm guessing it is a bone spur? It doesn't seem to be painful when I touch it or manipulate it and she is walking like she usually does. Thing is, I sure don't remember feeling this bump a week ago, it just seemed to pop up. We can touch it and rub on it and it doesn't bother her, and she is not favoring that leg in any way. What do you think is going on? And, what should be done? I have a phone call into the vet that did the surgery to see what he wants to do.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
That little "point" could be an end of one of the nylon "fishing lines, or one of the little stainless steel clamps used to crimp the line taut.
If it's not bothering her, I surely wouldn't worry about it, but I would mention it to her veterinarian at her next visit, so they can examine it to reassure you..
I've done this surgery many times, and there is virtually nothing that can go seriously wrong at this point once it's healed.
If I may be of further assistance, please let me know.
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years in practice