Dr. Jeff
Dr. Jeff, Veterinarian
Experience:  12+ years small animal general practice
21393945

while walking my lab.one day her front paws stiffened and she

while walking my lab.one day her front paws stiffened and she seemed disoriented.I got her in the house and talked to her while rubbung her face with a wet towel.After awhile she was fine like nothing happened.The first time was about 6 months ago.I assumed it was the heat until it happened again about 2 weeks ago while she was playing with my son"s puppy. This time her legs gave out on her.She tried to get up,but could not.again after talking to her a while,she got up again like nothing happened. She also pants and shakes.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jeff replied 6 years ago.

This could be an episode of syncope which is another term for collapse. This can be a sign of a few things but could be a heart arrythmia. This results in weakness, stumbling, this lost look, etc. (My lab has an episode every 3-4 years). While this could be life threatening if the arrythmia does not correct itself, these can be very difficult to diagnose as a routine EKG is not likely to pick up any abnormalities. Other issues that are possible are focal seizures, adrenal gland issue, etc. I would try to get video of an episode (cell phone cams are great for this) as this can be valuable to your vet. It may also be worth having your vet take a good look and have bloodwork and EKG done. I hope this helps and gives you direction.

Thanks

Dr. Jeff