FamilyPetDoctor
FamilyPetDoctor, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery, including emergency medicine

cat had abscess that broke, drained, formed scab, scab came

Customer Question

cat had abscess that broke, drained, formed scab, scab came off today (1wk old). Wound now open with no bleeding. Is about an inch long and 1/2 inch wide. What to do?Can't get to vet. thanks for any help you can give.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  FamilyPetDoctor replied 4 years ago.

Ideally you should give antibiotics.... but if it has drained well and entirely, I would keep it clean with hydrogen peroxide daily and warm compress it once a day to ensure that all the pus has drained. I would warm compress it for 2-4 days... longer if pus persists. You can do this by laying a warm washcloth over the area for 5- 10 minutes.

I don't like you to put any antibiotics CREAMS like neosporin on it.... it can impede healing. SO, just use hydrogen peroxide if it looks like it needs to be cleaned.

I hope that this helps!

Dr C
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will try that. I had been using the Animax which had been prescribed for puncture wounds and that did start the healing. The wound healed over once, and then the Animax would not stay in place. I started using Neosporin (did you read my mind? lol) and that's when the scab came off and I now have this open wound - although it doesn't look bad - just open showing the ligaments and tiny muscles under the chin. My concern now is will the peroxide burn? It has once in awhile on my own scratches etc. He is a big cat and kind of hard to control. Not sure I can do this alone. The wound is in such a difficult place and he is so good at squirming out of a towel! Again, I express concern at putting peroxide on these open muscles and ligaments. Please forgive an old lady for her incompetence and worry. And I do thank you for your help - no other is available to me for the weekend, and I just noticed the condition of this wound after everyone had left. Thanks again. Phyllis

I actually might just leave it alone if he is difficult to deal with.... you don't want to get hurt!

It will have to heal by what we call second intention--- it will form a bed of granulation tissue which is bright red and can bleed easily ( if scratched,etc.) Then that bed of tissue will give the skin something to grow across.... It's not good to put too much GOO on the granulation bed....

The good news is that it should drain well on it's own if it's on his chin and he can't lick it either. Since it seems quite open from your description, it probably doesn't even need warm compresses. Use the hydrogen peroxide around the edges of the wound..... (it's fine to pour it directly on the wound..... but there is no need to and it might hurt a little....)

So, really, I would probably just sit back and let nature take it's course.....clean it IF needed ( if it gets really scabby) but otherwise, just let it be. In 24-48 hours, the granulation tissue should cover the ligaments etc. If you get worried, then it might be best to see your vet.

I hope that this helps!

Dr C
FamilyPetDoctor, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery, including emergency medicine