Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 4 week old collie puppy is vomiting, foaming at the mouth,

My 4 week old collie puppy is vomiting, foaming at the mouth, is cold, has pale gums and is shivering and breathing shallow. Her litter brother is refusing to eat, and all the other pups seem fine at the moment what can I do?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- Any diarrhea?

2- When was the last time this puppy ate?

3- Is he weak?

4- Can he walk?

5- When did this start?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
all the pups had diarrhea last night. that was also the last time the blue bitch and the male who is now refusing to eat, ate. the puppy in question that is shivering, has pale gums, will not walk and is cold and I have her on a heating pad. I found the blue this morning vomiting. She was wormed last week with the rest of the litter.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.

1- Last night though she had diarrhea but did not have these symptoms?

2- How was the diarrhea, any blood or mucus (jelly like)?

3- Besides mom's milk what are you feeding them?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
none of the puppies had any symptoms except diarrhea last night. The diarrhea was liquid no blood no mucus and suprisingly no smell. I thought giardia or coccidia but no smell. I am afraid I brought home a bug from a dogshow.

The puppies are on a mixture of prizm dogfood, cooked ground hamburger, evaporated milk and water. They also get nursing time with the mother.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.

The symptoms this puppy is exhibiting is consistent with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). You need to take some pancake syrup, nutrical or honey and rub it on his gums. This is where it get complicated, because he needs to eat but if vomiting then will vomit the food. You are right to believe the diarrhea could be from Giardia or Coccidia. I will recommend to take this pup to the vet so they can treat IV. If you do not have access to a vet, continue applying the syrup on his gums every half hour until he starts coming around. Then offer small amounts of rice and chicken and keep him on this diet; if does not eat, apply more syrup. Do not allow more then several hours to pass without some syrup or food.

Change the diet on all the pups and feed rice (75%) and chicken or ground hamburger (25%) until the diarrhea resolves. Speak to your vet about placing them on metronidazole and have a direct smear of their feces done.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok but i'm concerned because she is cold and shivering and I have her on a heating pad. i dosed her with some keflex and her gums are pale, is this all still consistent with potentially hypogylcemia?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Yes, that is all consistent with hypoglycemia; her body is going into shock and will start having seizure then death if you do not get aggressive with this puppy.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
she's up walking around on her own now, aggressive isn't a problem. The litter brother isn't eating either, hypoglycemia as well?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
No, could be related to something else like GI bug. Hypoglycemia is a consequence of not eating regardless of the inciting cause. If he is not eating then to avoid hypoglycemia rub syrup in his gums as well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok last question I promise. I have some tylan powder, is it safe to put it in the water/food since it is broad spectrum antibiotic?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
No, that can make things worst by killing the bacterias of the colon yet doing nothing to coccidia or giardia if this is related to these protozoa. For now change their diet until you can get some metronidazole or albon.
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 14 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.