Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

Hello, my cat seems to be folding his ear down and keeps shaking

Hello, my cat seems to be folding his ear down and keeps shaking his head because of an itch. We brought him to the vet two weeks ago for another minor issue and she checked out his ears and everything looked good. I'm wondering how serious this is because we are leaving for vacation in 2 days.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- When you look inside his ear with the light, did you see any redness, moisture, or foul odor?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no none at all but it looked the same as the other side. He seems to be a little tender around exterior/base the ear as well and he seems a little tired.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.

The ear canal of a cat makes a 90 degree turn toward the head. With a plain light you can see the outer part of the external canal. But, to look deeper and turning the 90 degrees will need to have a hands on exam by your vet to look in there with an otoscope. There could be something deeper in the canal that you are not seeing. Things that can be found are ticks, polyps, etc. These are usually not very serious but important to rule them out. Consider having your vet take a look before you go into vacation.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter