Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of private practice, 10 years of ER medicine, current professor
7770642

My gerbil Cleopatra seems ill. She is cold, wobbles when she

My gerbil Cleopatra seems ill. She is cold, wobbles when she walks, won't eat, doesn't seem to drink, her eyes are closed, and she is very weak. No diarhhea. Please give us help!
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 6 years ago.

Can you tell me how old she is and how long this has been going on?
Also, while BEFORE you answer me, make some sugar and water into a thick liquid and put some drops on her tongue. Do this at least 5-6 times. Then answer me and I will try and help.

Dr. Pat
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we are not sure how old she is. We got her from the pet store Aug 2009 with another gerbil. Unfortunately, the other one died not long after we got her. She was fine this morning and we found her sick this afternoon around 5 o'clock when we came home from school. we just cleaned her cage yesterday and not sure whether it is related. Her cage was not cleaned for 2-3 weeks.
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 6 years ago.

She may be older and this could be the simple problem. Gerbils are not particulary long lived with an average life span of 2-4 years.

The most common maladies are low blood sugar, constipation and then cancer. This is why I have asked you to try some sugar and also you should be keeping her warm. If it is simple hypoglycemia ( low blood sugar) she should recover. If, however it's constipation , she will need your help to pass stool. You can help her, by holding her gently and washing her "bottom" with a warm wet wash cloth. This should stimulate her to go. If she is older than you believe, she may have cancer, in which case, the best thing to do, is keep her as comfortable as possible.

I hope this helps you help her.

Dr. Pat