Dr. Young
Dr. Young, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of mobile veterinary service for horses, dogs and cats.

My dog just ate an enitre box of Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies

My dog just ate an enitre box of Girl Scout "Thin Mint" cookies within the last 4 hours. He is a 55-60 pound Lab, golden mix. What should I do?
The toxic dose for chocolate ingestion is 3 ounces of unsweetened cocoa per 20 kg dog or 5 ounces of baking chocolate per 20 kg dog (your dog is about 7 kg larger than 20 kg).

If the ingestion has occurred less than 30 minutes ago, you can induce vomiting by administering 50 mL of hydrogen peroxide by mouth (a turkey baster works well for this). If your dog does not vomit within 10 minutes, you can dose a second time.

I will try to find out how much chocolate is in what your dog ingested to let you know if this is a toxic dose. If she vomits, immediately clean the vomit so that she doesn't reingest it. Presuming in is chocolaty vomit, she should be fine, if not a little bit hyper tonight.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It has been at least more than an hour with no ill effects. I am not sure if the chocolate in "thin mints" is baking chocolate or even how much is in it. It's only like the 4th ingredient listed.
The "recipes" (not from the Girl Scout's Page) has the ratio of chocolate of any kind as being ~ 1/4 the recipe. This would put your dog's ingestion of one one pound box as 4 ounces. This is under the toxic dose. At the time frame that you describe, you can still induce vomiting to limit the absorption of toxic elements with the hydrogen peroxide. Your dog should be more active than normal in any case. If you are at all worried about things, you can always present her to a veterinarian on emergency so that they may have her ingest activated charcoal to limit absorption of chocolate compounds. I hope that this helps you out.