Dr. Robin
Dr. Robin, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency/Critical Care Veterinarian; Holistic and Herbal Vet Medicine; Practice in Florida and PA

if a guinea pig is not urinating or drinking water for a day,

Customer Question

if a guinea pig is not urinating or drinking water for a day, it seems like that is a serious problem, although of an unknown nature. Is it a problem that they could not recover from without a visit to the vet?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Robin replied 6 years ago.
Good morning,

I'd be very concerned about this guinea pig. Although without a physical exam, I can't tell what exactly the problem might be, there re several distinct possibilities. A trip to the veterinarian (one that is comfortable treating GP's) is a very good plan, and as soon as possible.

Guinea Pigs can develop bladder stones which could block urine flow, a very serious emergency. They can also get urinary tract infections, kidney disease, orchitis, and other urogenital problems. Or, it may be that you GP is sick and slowly has not been drinking as much because he is not feeling well, and now is dehydrated enough that urine flow is minimal Just imagine that if you did not have any liquids for 24 hrs how dehydrated you'd be; since a GP is so little, lack of fluids and fluid loss is much more significant in their tiny bodies.

It is much better safe than sorry, so I would make a trip to the vet. With an exam and some diagnostic testing you should have some more definitive answers and treatment for him soon!

Best of luck, and keep me updated.

Dr. Robin