CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

my dog has patches of hair falling out that leaves her skin

my dog has patches of hair falling out that leaves her skin exposed which almost has a dark grayish color too it. Do you think that the air being to dry can cause this? I just put a humidifier in my house,What else can i do and what do you suspect it is?
Thank you for your post!

Depending on what tests have been done before, in a case such as this - to be thorough, infectious causes we think about with skin disease would include:
- Bacterial skin infection
- Fleas
- Mites (Demodectic Mange or Sarcoptic Mange)
- Fungal infections

Another possible cause would be long term food allergies - depending on what you used before, potentially changing the diet would be something to discuss with your veterinarian as dogs can have allergies to their food - specifically the protein in the food. In these cases - the protein should then be changed. There are several hypoallergenic diets to consider such as Hill's Z/D or Purina H/A (hydrolyzed diets) as well as novel protein diets such as with the IVD brand.

Other options would be the use of special shampoo formulas, such as an oatmeal shampoo or other soothing shampoos.

Supplements such as Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids may also help:

These links may also help in understanding skin disease, supplements, and diets for dogs:

With that said, if the signs persist, the other option for your would be to ask your veterinarian about a referral to a specialist - a board certified dermatologist if the signs are this severe.

This link (HERE) may also help!

I hope this information is helpful.
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.