Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My dog somehow cut his carpal pad today and i was wonder if

My dog somehow cut his carpal pad today and i was wonder if i just let it be or do i need to wrap it up to heal?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 6 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. A few questions will help me get a clearer picture of the situation:

• How deep is the cut?
  • Is it currently bleeding?
  • How much does he weigh?
  • Does he take any other medications or have other medical problems?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Its not surper deep. Its half sliced off. No iits not currently bleeding. He weights between sixty- seventy pounds and no meds

Thank you for the information. The best chance at healing is surgery but if you are reluctant to take him to your vet then are some things you can try to help the situation. These can be difficult to heal due to the weight bearing down on the area, especially in a dog this size. It will be vitally important to keep him quite and minimize activity for 10-14 days or the cut won't heal well. Here's a plan of treatment you can try:

• Rinse the cut with tepid water for 5-10 minutes twice daily for a few days then once daily as it improves. A sink or tub sprayer works well. This draws out infection and helps the healing process.
  • Dry the foot thoroughly and apply some triple antibiotic ointment to the area
  • Wrap the foot lightly with a bandage to keep it clean and dry. If the bandage gets wet or dirty then change the bandage immediately.
  • You can give a 325mg aspirin every 12 hours for pain. It can be given safely for 3-4 days but after than can cause stomach upset and ulcers.

If the area becomes reddened or develops discharge then have it checked by a vet immediately. If you have more questions please let me know.