Dr. May
Dr. May, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinary medicine and surgery. Special interest in ultrasonography and orthopedics.
26830841

my dog ate a 5 mg Hydrocodone that was on my dinner plate,will

my dog ate a 5 mg Hydrocodone that was on my dinner plate,will he be ok?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. May replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

How much does your dog weigh?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
60-65 lbs...he also just ate ,my wife estimates he got about 3 mg because she found pieces on the carpet.
Expert:  Dr. May replied 7 years ago.
Hydrocodone is used in dogs commonly as a cough suppressant. A published dose is 0.22 mg/kg. That means your dog can have 6.6 mg without really any worry. He should be fine. Another benefit of being a dog is that they are much more resistant to the harmful effects of opiods. This drug may cause sedation, constipation, vomiting or other gastrointestinal disturbances.

Good luck. Please let me know if I may be of further help.
Dr. May
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I read that dog and human Hydrocodone are differnt,that the human kind has acetomeniphen in it which is supposed to be fatal to dogs?
Expert:  Dr. May replied 7 years ago.
It can have acetaminophen in it but not necessarily. If it does it may not cause a problem in your dog. It is very toxic to cats, but doesn't affect dogs the same way. A published dose for Acetaminophen for dogs is 10-15 mg/kg. If the hydrocodone tab contains less than 500 mg, I would not be concerned. There is some potential for renal, liver, GI and hematologic effects, but we typically do not see that with a single dose. Look at the label, it should tell you what it contains. If the label does not mention acetaminophen, it probably does not contain it.

Dr. May