Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College

my dog was licking her lips then she started drooling more

my dog was licking her lips then she started drooling more than ususal, she usually only drools for treats or food she was ouside playing with a friend in the snow
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,

Licking lips and drooling are signs of pain, nausea or oral/throat irritation.

Source of pain is usually dental in nature (painful teeth/gums), sources of nausea are numerous (pancreatitis, intestinal infection, intestinal blockage and many others), mouth/throat may be irritated either because of swallowing something hard or irritating or tooth problems.

In either case, the symptoms you are seeing are just an indication of a more serious underlying problem. Your dog should be examined and have blood tests done to rule out pancreatitis and other problems. Your vet will examine her mouth carefully to ensure that no painful areas are visible (many times the painful areas are underneath the gumline and anesthesia is needed to diagnose this).

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions and best of luck!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I looked in her mouth and she was a little reluctant to let me put my fingers in her mouth I noticed a small bump on the roof of her mouth never noticed it before she keeps lickinig her front lips under her nose, her nose is cold and she still has a good appetite but not drinking much water even after playing with her friends outside this morning.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 6 years ago.
Well without looking, it's hard to say what the bump is - it may be a normal structure, it may be a small benign cyst or it could be a malignant tumor, which would explain the symptoms. I think it would be best to have your dog's mouth examined under sedation or anesthesia since it's very difficult with her awake...