Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years as a companion animal veterinarian; BVMS and MRCVS.
10379358

My daughters guinea pig is dragging its hind legs and its hindquarters

My daughters guinea pig is dragging its hind legs and its hindquarters are wet. When it is being held, it is moving its legs. Just noticed this out of the blue yesterday morning. Do not think it was dropped or hurt, but can't say for sure. It is eating and drinking OK. Doesn't seem to be in pain.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Andrea Roberts replied 4 years ago.
Hi there
It sounds as if your guinea pig could be suffering from inflammation in the lower part of the spine. This inflammation can press on the spinal cord, meaning that the nerve impulses in this area cannot be transmitted properly- meaning the hindlimbs won't work properly and that he/she has no control over the bladder.
Although this is often caused by trauma, i have seen this occur in guinea's for no apparent reason.
The treatment of choice in these cases is anti- inflammatory drugs to remove any possible inflammation pressing upon the nerves, these can be very effective, so i would book an appointment to see your vet.
In the meantime it's vital to keep the guinea pig dry at the back end, so supply extra absorbable bedding, and keep the rear end bathed clean.
Regards Andrea
Andrea Roberts, Veterinarian
Experience: 15 years as a companion animal veterinarian; BVMS and MRCVS.