Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

my shih-tzu has a lump half the size of a golf ball on her

my shih-tzu has a lump half the size of a golf ball on her neck right below her jawline. I am realy worried about her as I have no money to take her to the vet.I pray that it is something like a cist.please reply back asap and let me know. thank-you TERRY

Hi, Terry I am Dr. Peter and would like to help. Need additional information.

1- Is this swelling in the neck on the side of her wind pipe?

2- Other then the swelling any other symptom?

3- Can you check her right ear and see if she has an infection?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the lump is 1 inch below her ear pretty much just below her cheek. no ear infection.the lump doesn't appear to hurt her when you touch it. other than that she seems healthy. we just noticed the lump tonight. it wasn't there a week ago. thank-you TERRY

It sounds like you are looking at an enlarged salivary gland. It is not cancer but usally secondary to having the duct clogged up. There is a lymph node nearby that could be enlarged secondary to an infection as well. But, if it is underneath the cheek it seems to be the salivary gland. I know you have financial problems but other then applying warm compresses several time a day there is nothing else you can do. She needs to be seen by a veterinarian; you may try a shelter as they may offer vet service at lower cost. But the duct needs to be basically opened up.

If you have additional questions I will be online for another 10 mins.

Dr. Peter