SmAnimalVet
SmAnimalVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing vet with focus on advanced medicine and surgery.
25557073

my dog started continuously licking and sticking her tongue

my dog started continuously licking and sticking her tongue out. This has been going on for about 2 hrs. I know that she probally just has something stuck to the roof of her mouth or bit her tongue. I don't see anything and it is making both of us nervous. Any ideas
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  SmAnimalVet replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

My name isXXXXX and hopefully I can help you out with this. One of the best ways to check is to open her mouth and see if she has anything stuck. Blood usually accompanies a tongue that has been bitten and I assume you would have put that in your message if she has.

A couple of other things can make dogs act like this. If she happened to get a hold of something bitter or something that is making her nauseous, she could be licking and salivating. I have also seen dogs who have severe dental disease like their lips a lot.

Look in her mouth if she will let you and let me know what you find

Sincerely,

Dr. Bone

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't see anything in her mouth. And no blood. She is breathing fine and comes to you when you call her name.She is just licking everything in site and I don't think it is anything big but like i said we are both getting nervous.

I probably wouldn't get too worked up over it. I'm gonna bet she just got a taste of something that didn't agree with her. I can't think of any immediately life-threatening problems that manifest as this so I think you should be ok overnight. She begins to act strangely...breathing funny or being lethargic then it may be worthwhile to take her in, but I would rest easy

Dr. Bone

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you know of anything I could do to get her to stop?
I think that she may just have to work her way out of this...especially if she did get a hold of something. Make sure plenty of water is available...maybe give her something to chew on
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

So you don't think it's anything neurological?

With no other clinical signs and such a quick onset I wouldn't think it highly unlikely. There are some neurological diseases that can manifest simlar to this...but before jumping the gun I'd give her a night Smile
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much. Saved me an embarassing trip to the 24hr animal hospital.
no problem...have a good night!