How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SmAnimalVet Your Own Question
SmAnimalVet, Veterinarian
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1111
Experience:  Practicing vet with focus on advanced medicine and surgery.
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
SmAnimalVet is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog (6 months, 33 pounds) just drank some of my hot chocolate.

This answer was rated:

My dog (6 months, 33 pounds) just drank some of my hot chocolate. She didn't drink a lot (1/4 - 1/2 of a cup). What should my next step be?



Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I hope I can help answer your questions. I love Karelians by the way.


The amount of the toxic compounds (methylxanthine) to cause mild signs in dogs is 20 mg/kg. That means your girl would have to ingest 300 mg of methylxanthine to elicit mild signs. So a couple of things I need you to do for me.


Look on hot chocolate container and see how much cocoa is in it. And I also need you to estimate how many ounces she drank. Then I can tell you in more detail if you should be concerned or not Smile

Edited by SmAnimalVet on 11/10/2009 at 5:15 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, it is Nesquick, and cocoa is listed 2nd on the list of ingredients. It says itis cocoa processed with alkali. It also has artificial flavors. The front says chocolate flavor.
Is it instant cocoa powder or dry cocoa powder...and how many ounces?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is the instant type, where you just add it to milk. I think she drank about 4 to 6 ounces. Many people have not heard of Karelians! They are great.

Their faces are my favorite part...erect ears and all...very majestic.


Ok...well lets say that he essentially ate one packet of instant cocoa which can contain up to 100 mg of methylxanthines. By that math, your girl would have to eat almost three packets to see the most mild of signs. I think she is gonna be fine. But to be safe, best to watch for any abnormal behavior or signs and get her in to be seen if they develop. These include: increased activity, vomiting, increased heart rate and, at high doses, seizures or tremors.

I am pretty sure you will only see mild signs, if any at all, but keep a close eye on her for the next few hours.


I hope this helps you rest easy Smile


Dr. B

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you!!!! I will keep an eye on her, and, OH YES it does help me rest easy.

Glad to help out...and no more chocolate Smile

SmAnimalVet and 2 other Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you

Related Veterinary Questions