Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
19741892

my female rabbit (1yr.) developed a large goiter on her

my female rabbit (1yr.) developed a large "goiter"??on her neck? What could this be?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Hello there,

Is the lump hard or soft?

Can you grab it an move it or does it seem attched to deeper tissues?

Is the rabbit eating and drinking normally?

How large is the lump, is it getting larger?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

seems to be soft, i was kind of afraid to touch it.

eating and drinking fine.

like the size of a golf ball and yes, seems to be growing.

she is a mini like a velvateen

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Are you sure it is not the rabbits dewlap forming?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no familiar with that term..., but the pet shop said it was a female thing.

??? what is dewlap?

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
A dewlap is a fatty deposit under the chin. Females pull hair from it when nesting. It is not a sign of illness. Here is a pic:

graphic

If the lump does not look like this and continues to get larger, it could be an abscess. If this is the case, it will need to be drained by your vet and the rabbit will need oral antibiotics to treat.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.