DrKarl
DrKarl, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM with 19 years experience emergency and critical care.
24237879

My dog threw up blood and bloodclots last night. He also has

My dog threw up blood and bloodclots last night. He also has labored breathing. What might have caused this?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  DrKarl replied 7 years ago.
I am VERY concerned about your dog.

A geriatric dog with labored breathing and is producing blood are huge red flags that says your dog is in danger.

I think (but am far from sure) that your dog may actually be coughing up blood rather than vomiting. If the "discharge" is foamy and blood-tinged to blood, then it is likely coming from the lungs and congestive heart failure is a likely cause.

If it is actually vomiting blood, then there is bleeding in the GI tract which could be from a variety of causes ranging from kidney failure to a GI tumor. If the main problem is the vomiting and now he has labored breathing, it could be from him inhaling some of the vomit and causing irritation in the lungs.

Either way you look at it, I think your dog needs medical attention much sooner rather than later. If you really are not able to take him in right away, then I would offer water if there is no further vomiting. I would try food only after there has been no vomiting for a minimum of 12 hours. I would make sure that I would NOT feed him anything high in salt (if he has heart issues, the high salt would be a problem).

Again, I must stress that your dog needs medical attention ASAP.