Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

dog feels warm all over. could he have a fever/infection Is

dog feels warm all over. could he have a fever/infection? Is there such a thing as dog flu?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 years ago.
Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your 3 year old Terrier. It can be very hard to tell a dog's temperature just by touch as canines naturally have a core temperature a degree or so above humans. I get many clients bringing their dogs in to my clinic who feel warm to the touch but have an absolutely normal temperature once we check with a thermometer. This is not to say there is nothing wrong with your boy now - he may well well have a temperature and YES, dogs can get dog flu - we call this kennel cough and most dogs are vaccinated for this. There are a range of other possible causes including gastroenteritis to name but a few.

Just so you know, the normal temperature range for a dog is 99.5° to 102.5°F so to be sure you may want to carefully take his rectal temperature (you might want to reserve the thermometer you use for this only after taking it!). As you can imagine, if he DOES have a temp, there are a quite a range of possible causes for this and ideally he would go to your local Vet for a full check up. Please don't give any further aspirin as this can affect the kidneys and stomach if we continue to give this.

In the meantime, you should also keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of the gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get your dog to the emergency Vet if they appeal white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As I say, I would personally avoid giving him any further aspirin at this stage and rather - just monitor his above signs and get his actual temperature. For more info on how to do this, please visit this site: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-take-your-dog-s-temperature/page1.aspx . If he seems lethargic, or has a high temperature then please be sure to get him checked out by your local ER Vet won't you.

If you have any further questions in the meantime, please be sure to ask.

Thank you for your question and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc