Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal veterinary medicine
14018973

The tip of my dogs penis is red and swollen and I was wondering

The tip of my dogs penis is red and swollen and I was wondering what would cause this he's not neutered yet please help me with this
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about your little one's problem. Is he able to get his penis to retract into the sheath?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No it wont retract back into the sheath
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
How long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
For about 6 hours now, I was wondering if its because he's not neutured and needs to have that done. Im a little scared for him and am anxious to find out whatt this may be causing these problems. Thank you by the way
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
When a dog's penis is out of the sheath for a prolonged period of time - and being out for 6 hours does constitute this - it is called a paraphimosis. This can be caused by hair getting wrapped around the base of the penis or due to a small preputial opening. This situation is very serious and painful. I would get him into your vet here as fast as you can for them to help get the penis back into the sheath. The longer it is out, the more trauma this tissue potentially sustains. Until you get him in, keep the penis moist with something like K-Y jelly.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 15 years of small animal veterinary medicine