Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog, a 2 year old bassug, has an ear infection. I thought

My dog, a 2 year old bassug, has an ear infection. I thought he had mites and treated with Otomite Plus. It made it worse. The right ear is inflammed and warm to the touch and seems to be very painful for the dog. What can I treat this infection with?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like your dog has an ear infection. In dogs this is usually a mixed bacterial and fungal (yeast) infection. In cats it is often due to mites. Mites in dogs is uncommon.

Treatment for this in dogs is by cleaning the debris and then applying a topical antibiotic/ anti-fungal like Otomax or Zymox. I would clean the ears with an over the counter ear cleansing solution and then apply the Zymox 2-3 times daily for 5-7 days. It's ideal to get ear swabs first, but since he is so uncomfortable I'd probably start the meds now.

Stay away from the Antipyrine or Benzocaine.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So it will be ok to use the Zymox Otic Enzymatic solution I have on hand. It is not old. And it has hydrocortisone
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 years ago.
Yes that would be fine- it has an antibiotic, anti-fungal and the hydrocortisone which is a steroid to bring down the inflammation.