DrT, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian since 1986

My guinea pig is not eating and is not moving from the corner

Customer Question

My guinea pig is not eating and is not moving from the corner of his cage. I cleaned his cage yesterday and inspected his mouth, his fur, and his paws. I really didn't notice anything abnornal. I also gave him a bath, which did not seem to bother him (he had a little dirt in his fur which was noticeable because it is white).    He continues to drink water but not as much as he used to. I thought there may have been a problem with pain or discomfort while walking (sinse he is staying put) so I moved his food bowl closer to him. He appears to have eaten just a tiny amount in the last 24 hours. He has not produced any waste since the cage was cleaned. I'm worried about him because he is not normally this way.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  DrT replied 7 years ago.
Good morning:
I'm sorry to hear your guinea pig is not feeling well. A guinea pig who doesn't want to eat is a sick pig. They are also famous for not showing you many symptoms. If you have a vet that sees guinea pigs, I would recommend you take him in for an evaluation. There are many possibilites of the source of the problem: Gastro-intestinal, urinary, infectious, etc. Perhaps some antibiotics and/or fluids could help him?
I'll also use Ox-bow critical care herbivore diet supplement on pigs that won't eat.
Good luck - Dr. T