Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Exotic animal veterinarian for 16 years.
11849417

my guinea pig is drinking and peeing alot and hes eating but

Customer Question

my guinea pig is drinking and peeing alot and he's eating but not his pellets. He also lost 1/3 of his body weight in about a month. He is a an intact 4yr male..
I work at a vet hospital as a tech but the dr there isn't too experienced in pocket pets. We checked his kidney values and glucose levels but all is well. Can you help me? I'd like an experienced vet to please help me. I hope I'm not insulting anyone else.
Thanx sooooooooo much
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 years ago.
Hi

Thanks for your question.

Did the vet examine his teeth closely?

Can you post the results of the lab work that was done on him?

Thanks,

Dr. G
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can't post the lab results until I get back to the vet tomorrow and he said he looked at his teeth but I was there and he never took an x-ray eventhough i asked him to. I had a chinchilla with severe root maloclussion and i mentioned that but this vet didn't think it was relevant. but again the bloodwork showed nothing elevated except the ionized calcium was up slightly.He said he'd look into that but i'm not waiting around for him that's why i'm looking for a second opinion. So you think I should have his teeth x-rayed and examined by another vet.
Can you give me an e-mail address that I can post the lab results tomorrow on. Please and thanx.
Take care,
Laura
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 years ago.
Laura,

Just go ahead and post everything (normal and abnormal) on here tomorrow. I know it will take a few minutes of your time.   If you could also post the normal reference range as some labs may be different than the one I used.

Also, let me know where you live (city, state) and I'll see if I can help with any referral vets.

We'll talk then,

Dr. G
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the reference ranges we don't know that's the other thing...we did in house lab testing with our I-STAT machine maybe you're familiar with that made by aventix and the only ranges it has is for cats dogs and horses but i can post those ranges for you.The vet said they're all the same..but again he doesn't always know what he's talking about. He is also my boss and iam his technicican which is why i don't want to say the name of the vet i go to but i will tell you that i live in stoney creek ontario canada. i know of a few exotic vets around here you probably won't cuz you live in the u.s.a right!!! my boss is good with dogs and cats but not so much pocket pets eventhough he says he is..It's a guy thing!!!
If I close this page what is the site i can post it back on to get directly to you cuz I'll have to log on the computer at work tomorrow and i don't even know the site address for this site. I'm not very computer savy!!!
Thanx again for all you help. I'll leave this page open so that I can get the page address so i know where to come back to find ya.
talk to ya soon
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 years ago.

If you want to wait until you get home to post the results no problem. We aren't allowed to have direct contact with each other so you will have to post results back on this question thread for me to see them. If the question were to close out for some reason, just hit reply, and it should re-open up.

I'll check for some vet possibilities today. Have a good rest of the day.

Dr. G
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 years ago.
Hi Laura,

Did you get a chance to get the lab results?

Dr.G
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry i didn't give the lab results to ya but i will do that today. i brought the results home but not the reference ranges. i will post them either this afternoon or later on this evening. but please don't give up an me and nemo yet the results will come. Thanx for being so patient with us. I have a horrible migraine and it's hard to look at the screen I actually have my sun glasses on!!!! but i will put the results up for you to look at when i go back to work this afternoon...
thanx again
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
o.k. so here are the blood results for my piggy aswell as the reference ranges for dog and cat. The ISTAT machine doesn't have ranges for guinea pigs in specific:

My Guinea Pig Results      Cat Reff Range             Dog Reff Range
Na   142 mmol/L            147-162 mmol/L             139-150 mmol/L
K    4.0 mmol/L            2.9-4.2 mmol/L             3.4-4.9 mmol/L
Cl   101 mmol/L            112-129 mmol/L             106-127 mmol/L
iCa 1.54 mmol/L           1.20-1.32 mmol/L           1.12-1.40 mmol/L
TC02 32 mmol/L             16-25                      17-25 mmol/L

AnGap 14 mmol/L           10-27                      8-25

I hope that helps but those are the complete results we got for my piggy. Lemmie know what you think cuz my boss really has no clue but he just won't admit it.
Thanx again hope to hear from you again soon.
Laura
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
wow I feel dumb I completley missed the results right under neath. Here are som more results with the reference ranges of dog and cat.

My Guinea Pig              Cat Reff Range              Dog Reff Range
Glu    8.4 mmol/L          3.33-7.22 mmol/L            3.33-6.38 mmol/L
Urea   4.3 mmol/L          5.36-12.14 mmol/L           3.57-9.28 mmol/L
Crea   66 umol/L           88.4-195 mmol/L             44-115 mmol/L
Hct    29%PCV              24-40 %PCV                  35-50 %PCV
Hb     99g/L               80-130 g/L                  120-170 g/L

That might explain a bit more. I hope you got everything o.k. and that it doesn't look to hard to read. Let me know if you need any more information. Thanx again!
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 years ago.

I need to do a bit of conversion as we use different scientific units so I'll get back to you after I do some math.

I'm assuming you did not send out a CBC on him? Would it be possible to get another sample on him and send it in?

Hope your headache is better.

Dr. G
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 years ago.
Hey there,

I reviewed the bloodwork and besides the calcium, the glucose is a bit elevated for a guinea pig "normal".

We don't see a lot of diabetes in gpigs, but I would recommend you collect a urine sample from him also and examine. The easiest way I find to collect is to put them in a cage with a grate and just let them urinate through the grate and then collect the sample.   As in other animals, glucose could be elevated from stress etc. so we just want to rule this out.    As for the calcium, we can see elevated calcium with cancer in other animals (lymphoma) and gpigs can get this so this is why I would want him to have a CBC done also.   However, most gpigs with cancer tend to have enlarged lymph nodes that you can feel so I would assume you would have felt this.

As for vets, the site www.aemv.org does have some listings for some vets in Ontario. I don't know where they are in relation to you though. Also, if you can take him over the border, I know 2 great avian/exotic vets in the Buffalo area. I have worked with both of them and they are great. I don't know if this would be an option for you or not due to the need for travel documents. I just wanted to give you the option. Their info is:

Dr. Alexandra Adamcak -(she goes by Sandy)
All Creatures Animal Hospital XXXXX
East Amherst, NY 14021
Phone: 716/636-3600

Dr. Laura Wade
Broadway Veterinary Clinic, PC
5915 Broadway
Lancaster, NY 14086
Phone: 716/651-0144

Also, can you measure how much water he is drinking in 24 hours? Measure the amount of water you put in his bottle and then measure the amount left after 24 hours. The difference will be the rough amount of water that he took in. Obviously if he is with another gpig or the bottle leaks a bit, it wont work.

So, let me know if you are able to get more results for him or whatever else you need.
Dr. G
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanx soooooo much. We did do a urinalysis on him and the glucose was normal. It was very hard to collect the few drops we got from him i'm not sure if we can collect enough from him. You ahve gone above and beyond for me and little nemo...now again i'm horrible with computers so how do i make sure you get your payment? Do I click accept? If I do does that mean we can't talk anymore? Cuz you seem to be the only vet i've talked to that has new info. all the others around here keep saying that he's just bored of his pellets. but i know there's something else.
I can monitor his water intake over the next 24hrs and i can report back to you this time tomorrow.He is the only piggy I have.
His lymph nodes don't feel enlarged which is great 2 different vets both checked and both said they're fine. But I will keep you posted.
Please make sure you got your payment from me cuz you are AWSOME. I don't have a passport so I don't know if I will ever meet you but I would like to but incase we never meet I just want you to know that you are very knowledgable and all your patients are VERY luck!!
Talk to ya soon.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 years ago.
HI Laura,

Thank you for the kind words! That makes my day. I wish we had techs who are as dedicated to their job and patients as you most likely are.

Yes, all you have to do is click on 'accept' for payment. After that, just click on 'reply' and that will allow you to continue to post to the link. If it times out, then you should just be able to click on reply also.

I'll look for the water intake info.

Guinea pigs are kind of picky with their food. I do recommend mixing the new bag into some of the old bag to help with the transition to the new food or bag (even if it is the same brand). I'm assuming you did try to go back and offer him the original brand of pellet?

Talk to you soon,

Dr. G
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yeah i tried to mix the old and new food, then i tried all of the new food but he won't eat it at all now. All he eats is veggies and some small leafy parts of his hay. I'm keeping his weight steady so far with critical care but that's inly masking what's wrong...it's masking what no doctors can fins. I measured his water intake and in 25 hrs he drank 10 oz. I know that's more then normal cuz the amount of pee in the cage when i clean it in outrageous. We did x-rays on his abdomen/chest and jaw. The jaw one showed up bad cuz we don't have a dental x-ray. but in his abdomen was a spot the dr wasn't sure of. so i guess i should seek a yet another opinion. what do you think? how come nobody can tell me what's wrong? you seem to be the only one going the extra mile for us.
talk to ya soon
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 years ago.

Forgot to ask - what does he weigh?

Can you describe the spot more in his abdomen? If you can take a picture of it, try posting it. I can at least try to look at it though it may be difficult on here. There is also a radiologist in CA that will read x-rays and does a ton of avian/exotic cases. I don't know what his current fee is, but I can sent you his link if you are interested in having him read it.

Dr. G
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
he only weighs 2.13 lbs. He did weigh 3.6 lbs 1 month ago. I don't know how to post anything on here and the x-rays are light so probably won't help you. I'd love to get the vet in CA to look at them but my boyfriend got laid off yesturday and money is really tight. But the spot in his abdomen is just a white spot rather then his normal poopy intestines. But the vet i talked to for a 3rd opinion was concerened abot the one view on his mouth. There seemed to be something between his front incisors and his molars. i'm bringing him back to her for another scope in the mouth and she said she won't charge me cuz she missed it with the first visit. maybe he has something lodged in his cheek and that's whay he won't eat. have you even seen anything like that or heard of that??
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 years ago.
Hey there,

Well, I'm hoping that it is something in his mouth!!!

One thing else to maybe look at would be to have his thyroid levels tested. Hyperthyroidism has been seen a handful of times in gpigs. I had a case years ago that I forgot about. I remember doing x-rays of his neck and we did see a mass there. I removed it surgically and he did well as far as I remember. His thyroid levels were high and we took some blood from some normal pigs for comparison. I don't think you would have to do this now as most labs may have some normals now. I think I did even feel the mass in the neck like you can in cats sometimes. My friend who is a vet in Denver, has seen a case also.

I'm sorry to hear about your boyfriend - I know it's not a good time for that to happen.

Please let me know what they find out!

Dr. G

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just got my american express bill and it says that "just answer" already took the money out. so i just want to thank you again for all your help. the 3rd vet said to try him on metacam. and then on friday she wants to see him back because she said she may have seen his molars slightly curling in. she said that much doesn't normally cause a problem but obviously it is for my poor piggy. so we'll decide what to do when she sees him again on friday. but thanx again so much. i just wanted to make sure you got your payment. but by my statement i see that you have or you will be soon.
i can never thank you enough. take care and i want you to know that you are an awsome vet. keep up the good work.
laura
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 years ago.
Hi Laura,

I hope it is the teeth - I will keep my fingers crossed. Actually, I don't get my payment until you click on 'accept' here at the question. You credit card may show your deposit. If you have any questions, you can always contact customer service atXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

Thanks again for your kind words! All the best,

Dr. G
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience: Exotic animal veterinarian for 16 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dr thanx for all you help it's been a while since we chatted i hope you got the payment i sent you. unfortunatley my little piggy died. he had a large grown in his abdomen. it literally was about the size of a grape on a friday then on the following monday it was the size of a golfball. i had to have him but down. it was so hard. i miss him alot but maybe that's what the raise ionized calcium meant. he stopped eating all together shortly before he died. it was so sad. i miss his little squeeks :(

Rest In Peace little Nemo.

Thanx again dr for all you help.
(will this reply cost me anything? I hope not)
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Laura,

Thank you so much for letting me know what happened, though I wish it wasn't such sad news. Was it lymphoma? This is one reason for hypercalcemia.

I know Nemo will be greatly missed and I hope in time you will remember the happy times and not these last few weeks. I know how much you cared for him!

As long as you DON'T hit accept, there should be no charge.

Laura, please take care of yourself and RIP Nemo.

Best wishes,

Dr. G
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank-you so much for everything again!

you seem like such a wonderful person. Too bad you weren't my vet out here. I'd love to thank-you in person.

Take care.