Santiago Soto
Santiago Soto, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years experience on small animals,dogs and cats Owner of private practice on the island of Roatan.
20649525

My maine coon cat is losing his hair. Although the hair loss

My maine coon cat is losing his hair. Although the hair loss is all over the most obvious area is on his tail from his rear to the middle of the tail. I don't know if he is losing weight also or if it appears he is thinner because of the hair loss. Please help.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Santiago Soto replied 7 years ago.
Hello there:

My name isXXXXX and i'll like to help you.

Can you tell me.....

When did he started with this problem?
Is he scrathing?
Are there any signs of scabs?
Has he had any flee problem?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry. I don't know what scathing is. He started at the beginning of the summer. At first we just thought that he was just shedding. I don't know about fleas. He is an indoor/outdoor cat. He does groom himself a great deal though and then shake afterward.
Sorry my mistake... I meant scratching, does he itch?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Gosh, I'm not sure. I know I should be but he does both. It seems he licks more than scratches but I honestly don't know. I work odd hours and I just don't know what to tell you. He doesn't scratch at all like the dogs when they have an itch.
I see, I think there could be a couple of things causing this problem.
The most common are skin parasites, for example Sarcoptes scabiei, where they could have lot of skin problems, loss of hair being one of them.

To know for sure, you need to take him to your vet so he can do a skin scrap and verify what kind of parasite your dealing with.

If that's the case you may be asked to bathe your cat weekly and use an anti-parasitic lime sulfur dip.
Ivermectine is a drug that is sometimes used in this cases too, once every two weeks, 3 times.

Since he is a partial outdoor cat, the chances for him to get this kind of parasites are higher.

Hope this helps, if you have any other question please let me know.