Dr. Karen
Dr. Karen, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 5 years experience- Graduated vet school with honors

my dog has two large bumps/lumps at the base of his penis they

my dog has two large bumps/lumps at the base of his penis they are very hard and large/swollen..where i live there is no vet sat or sun
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 7 years ago.
Hi there- Is he urinating normally? Is he in pain? Is he neutered? Are the bumps symmetrical (on both sides)? Are they under the skin?
Dr. Karen
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes they are symmetrical and under the skin...i cant tell if he is urinating the same cause we just rescued him him from an abusive farm two days ago(and he didnt have these)...he has been peeing like crazy since...he is a 120lb great its alot of pee...he is licking it alot though and is having trouble sleeping...and no he isnt neutered yet...
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 7 years ago.
Hi there- I think the bumps you are describing are normal anatomy. They become enlarged symmetrically at the base of the penis when the dog is aroused. try to keep him distracted so he stops licking it. However, he needs to be checked out to see why he is urinating a lot.

You can give him Benadryl to make him relax a little more for the night- the dose would be about 100 mg of the human Benadryl tablets.

Don't worry about the bumps- but have your vet check his urine soon!

I am so proud of you for rescuing him!!!!
Dr. Karen