Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

my cats entire eye is turning brown

my cats entire eye is turning brown
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 years ago.

Is this just one eye?
Is it the iris (colored part of the eye) changing color or the white part of the eye (sclera)?
How old is your cat?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
just one eye, it is actually my friends cat, it looks to me like the whole eye is discolored but the middle of the eye is black, the cat is about 5 years old
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 years ago.
Ok thanks,

The middle of the eye is the pupil so that will still be black. If this is an iris change then I would get it evaluated by a veterinary ophthalmologist asap. The reason being that this is a common presenting sign with melanoma in cats. If it is melanoma then the eye will need to be removed quickly to prevent metastasis of the tumor.

Other differentials for color change are chronic irritation and corneal disease if it's the front of the eye. The ophthalmologist has specialized equipment to visualize the eye and will better differentiate. WIth the risk of melanoma, I'd really hate to put this off as the potential of catching a cancer while it's curable is rare in medicine.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.