Dr. Karen
Dr. Karen, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 5 years experience- Graduated vet school with honors
8954214

my gerbil has been lethargic, eyes half closed, walking slow

Customer Question

my gerbil has been lethargic, eyes half closed, walking slow and off balance since last night. i dont know what to do, please help!!!
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there, Is he eating? How old is he?
Dr. Karen
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he was eating as of last night, but would seem to almost fall asleep while eating in his food bowl....not normai behavior for him at all! i'm holding him in a towel on my lap and he isn't taking food but has taken a few drinks of water when i hold the bottle to his mouth...: (
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 5 years ago.
Hi again- How old is he? Can you take him to a vet?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry i believe he is around 2 1/2 years old. i cannot afford to take him to the vet.
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 5 years ago.
You should try to get him to eat or at least put so Karo syrup or maple syrup in his mouth to make sure he doesn't have low blood sugar. Make sure you keep him warm. I would also suggest using a dropper or syringe to feed him and give him water. He sounds very sick, and I'm worried. You should really try to take him to be examined, even just to have the vet look at him without performing any expensive tests- at least hopefully you will know whether you need to put him to sleep or if there is any way he can improve.
Best of luck,
Dr. Karen
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is sugar water by way of the regular water bottle sufficient? also is keeping him in a towel in my lap warm enough ?? thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 5 years ago.
Hi, yes water with a lot sugar in it would work. The towel in your lap is ok but you may have more luck with a heating pad.
Best of luck!
Dr. Karen
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you so much!!!
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 5 years ago.
Good luck! I have had many gerbils and I know you can be very attached to them!!!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, i have done some more research and it seems that for sure he has had a stroke and is dying. i read it is best to separate him from his cage mate who is nudging and disturbing him, and very hyper. is that true, or would the cagemate provide companionship and comfort?? and since i cannot afford the emergency vet clinic tonight, is the kindest thing to just keep an eye, continue to try to get him to eat and drink and keep him warm ? i have heard to try to feed them apple sauce, or do you think just keep trying to get him to eat the usual sunflower seed mix...?
Expert:  Dr. Karen replied 5 years ago.
<p>How is he doing today?</p><p> </p><p>Yes I would ake him away from the other gerbil. Tyring to feed him applesauce temporarily is fine- if he is feeling better, you can try to get him to eat him normal food.</p><p> </p><p>Let me know how it goes.</p><p>Dr. Karen</p>